"When I don't measure up to much in this life... I'm a treasure in the arms of Christ."

Friday, February 4, 2011

Race for Sara

I am very excited about something new I have to look forward to this week:

This year, my sister and I are going to participate in a
Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure!

I decided this a couple of days ago, kind of on a whim. I saw a commercial for the Komen 3-Day, and immediately texted my sister to say that I wanted to do one with her. And fortunately, she was super excited too, so we're doing it!

I have peripherally known several people who have battled breast cancer, but I haven't experienced it in someone close to me. Unfortunately, my sister has. Her dear friend Sara was diagnosed with breast cancer in March 2009 - two days after finding out that she was pregnant (if you're interested you can check out their blog, The Sullivans. It brought me to tears many times, and I never even met them). Miraculously, Sara was able to carry the baby to term while undergoing chemotherapy, and gave birth to beautiful, healthy Chloe on September 8, 2009.

Fourteen days later, after precious time with her baby girl, God called Sara home to him.


Their blog is unbelievable. Their unwavering faith and ability to see that God works through even the most devastating situations is so powerful. This is from Brady's post on the day of Sara's passing:

"Sara is now with Jesus and for this I am thankful...and at peace! ...  It is completely clear to me that the Lord was calling Sara home at this time. No matter what her diagnosis had been, it was her time to go. She delivered our miracle baby and we spent a few days at home as a family. I have never seen Sara happier, and I feel as though those few days were like heaven on earth."
The Susan G. Komen foundation made this video about Sara for their race in Dallas last year:



I am really excited to participate in this race. We will be racing for Sara, as well as for so many other people whose lives are so affected. I have a friend whose mom is actually battling breast cancer right now, and my boyfriend's aunt also just had surgery to remove a very aggressive form of breast cancer. It's amazing how much you notice a particular issue when you look around for it.

My sister and I will most likely walk it, but I am still pumped to start working out and get in shape. I think it's going to be something really, really special for us to share together. I can't wait.

Also, I'll post on here once we get the fundraising going, so if any of you want to donate that would be awesome! :)


Sarah's husband Brady, racing for her

If you'd like to get involved... Susan G. Komen Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment