"When I don't measure up to much in this life... I'm a treasure in the arms of Christ."

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Age Is.. Just a Number?

Lately I've been feeling old. I will be 25 in February, which I have recently decided will be the official shift from "young adult" into just plain "adult." I am not super excited about it. I'm sure a large part of my discontent stems from the realization that I will not be married at any age younger than 25, which is very far off my original plan. I was sure I'd be married by 23 at the latest. Well, here I am without even a boyfriend, so that obviously won't be the case. Plus, a majority of my friends are younger than I am (one of my best friends turns 20 today). So, I feel old.

Add to this an interesting new tidbit: there is a new boy. I'm pretty sure I like him, even though it is very early on. And... he is 3 years younger than me. :-O This is a WAY new position for me to be in. I have never ever dated, or even liked, a guy that was any more than 6 months younger than me. I've always been attracted to older men. My ex, for example, was 4 1/2 years older than me (only two months younger than my sister, which was always weird). However, I was definitely the adult in that relationship. He often acted like a teenager. So, I feel like that could mean a couple of things with this new guy (we'll call him "Musician"): he could be similarly immature, and act like he's 16. Or, he could be a very mature guy, and the age difference could turn out to be not that big of a deal at all. Hopefully it's the latter!


One of my good friends told me an encouraging story about someone she knows who decided to give a younger guy a chance, and they have turned out perfectly happy together and will be marrying soon. I just have no experience in this area, though. I've considered dating guys that are as much as 7 or 8 years older than me, but younger than me just didn't really cross my mind until I met Musician (explanation for that: he is very cute, friendly, I've heard great things about him from a friend who knows him, and most importantly he is absolutely in love with the Lord).

What do you all think out there? Is it worth considering? Should I not even be concerned about the age?

2 comments:

  1. Age. I have been trying to wrap my mind around it lately. I don't know if it's a Christian thing, or just my family, but even though I never put much pressure on myself to find a guy before 25, they sure seem to think I'm slacking.

    The new boy sounds interesting, I think there are too many variables to make a definitive statement. But I dated a guy who was less than a year younger and his immaturity (as a Christian and in general) could be called the main reason for our eventual breakup.

    I guess, I would say that you should already have a good grasp on his maturity level, so if he seems too immature for you, I doubt that will change. However, a lot of maturity happens right after college, so that could be a factor. And he is well-supported by your friends, that's a pretty good thing. :)

    I just realized I probably didn't help at all - ignore any and all of these comments if they do nothing but confuse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, no that's okay! I honestly don't know him that well yet, so my concern is based solely on the number at this point. I guess I'll just have to wait and see on his maturity level. I always tend to assume that guys' maturity is directly related to their age, but more often than not that appears to not be the case. haha

    Thanks for your feedback!!

    ReplyDelete