"When I don't measure up to much in this life... I'm a treasure in the arms of Christ."

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Happiness vs. Holiness

One of the many books I'm currently "reading" (which, in some cases, means the book is sitting on either my coffee table or nightstand but has not been opened in weeks or months) is Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands by Paul David Tripp. Actually, I just finished it tonight, and it was really amazing. And very relevant for me right now. Tonight I came across a quote in there that I just LOVED, and want to share:

"We forget that God's primary goal is not changing our situations and relationships so that we can be happy, but changing us through our situations and relationships so that we will be holy."
How true! I think I need a reminder of this every day. It is SO easy to become completely self-absorbed, only thinking about and only praying about the things that will make me most comfortable/happy/satisfied. But I need to remember, it isn't about what makes me happy. Yes, sometimes God's plans bring me great satisfaction. But sometimes they do not. And there is always a reason for that. God is using my situations, relationships, and everything else in my life (even my own mistakes and sins) to make me more holy, more like Him. And that should be more than enough for me. :)

Also, I heard this song on my way home from an ice cream date with one of my best friends, and I just loved it. So I'll share that too:


1 comment: