"When I don't measure up to much in this life... I'm a treasure in the arms of Christ."

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Who Am I?

I suppose it's only fair that I post a "get to know me" blog, so you have some vague idea of who you're reading from. Sometimes my thoughts can be all over the place, especially when it comes to describing myself, but I'll try to keep them along some sort of topical lines. Here goes:

This is the theme of my life right now -- As a very wise woman of the Lord recently told me, "We make a plan, so that God can change the plan."

I am 24 years old. I'm single. This was not at ALL the way I thought my life would go. I was sure I'd get married right out of college (which ended 3 years ago), and probably be ready to have kids within the next year or two. Well... such is life. Things change. I spent the majority of my adult life (ages 19-23) dating a man who I was absolutely sure I would marry. In January, I made probably the toughest decision of my life and broke up with him. I didn't think I'd survive it, but miraculously I did. I'm sure you will hear mentions of him as the blog goes on.

Even at the time I graduated college, I didn't really know what I was going to do with my life. God placed a job into my lap - twice - and now I know it is exactly where he wants me to be. I work in an office full of men. I am the only single woman, and one of only two people in my 20's, so needless to say I'm kind of the oddball there. But, it's great. I'll let you know ahead of time that even if I complain about my job at times, I am incredibly blessed to be there.

I love, love, love my dog. My family is pretty much obsessed with dachshunds (between all of us we have 6 of them). Mine is a beautiful little girl named Penny. She's going to be 3 in January. Right now she is munching away on her breakfast and sounding so adorable.


Penny, at about 5 months old. Her hair is much longer now.
 I have one sister, who is 4 1/2 years older than me. I love her more than anything, and I've so much missed her during the years she has been away (10 years in the Air Force, including 1 in Korea and 3 in Japan). She is married to a great man, and they have a 1 year old son. He is the absolute cutest boy in the entire world. Period. :P

My sister, Krystal and nephew, Jacob

I have been saved by the Lord. I am a Christian, which means I know that Jesus is my savior and I have given my life to him. I accepted Christ at age 15, and there have definitely been ups and down since then. I've gone through periods of intense passion for the Lord, as well as periods of rebellion against him. The past year of my life has been filled with a "revival" of my faith, so to speak, and I hope to never turn back. In August I went on a mission trip to Guatemala, and that experience changed my life forever. I have seen in my life and the lives of those around me that no matter how badly we mess up, God is always right there with a tissue and a kiss, ready to comfort us and bring us back to him. It's surprising, beautiful and amazing.

And, random other things: I love to bake. I continually bring yummy treats into work, and subsequently get scolded because the guys are perpetually "on a diet." I love movies. My favorite movie is You've Got Mail. I also really like inspirational, true-story movies like Apollo 13 and Rudy. I cry like a baby when I watch those movies, even for the 25th time. I tend to be kind of lazy. I'm thin, and that is 100% genetics and 0% eating healthy/working out (neither of which I do). People hate me for it, which really bothers me. I care very much about my friends, and particuarly the girls in my small group at church. My favorite color is red, and if you spent 5 seconds in my apartment you would immediately know that. I don't stay up very late, especially for my age. I don't drink alcohol very often. I drink soda waaaayy too often. I have probably 5 half-read books sitting on my coffee table and nightstand. I let things in the fridge expire all the time. I eat too much pizza. I hate cleaning. I love fall. :)

So, that's me for now. You'll learn more as we go forward. :)

6 comments:

  1. let's be friends, officially. You are awesome and aside from the whole you have a job and I don't, I feel like we are in the same boat. I am adding you to my reader, so now there is a lot of pressure for you to update frequently ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie! Yes, let's! Thanks for stopping by. I'll be posting more, I promise. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you admit to letting food expire in your fridge! I noticed that one time. I didn't say anything, though. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha yeah, it's terrible. I know it. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I'm your newest follower!
    MurdocksMama

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! And welcome! Glad to have you. :)

    ReplyDelete